We are often asked for advice about web hosting. Here are a few reasons why we like Vidahost.
They are a UK company and we have always experienced excellent customer service from them.
They are very easy to contact by phone or email. Emails are answered fully and promptly. There is a freephone (0800) number and lines are open 9am–midnight.
They offer a number of modern approaches to web hosting, which will make your website secure and scalable.
Their prices are extremely competitive and the service offers good value for money.
We provide advice about websites, domains and hosting at the Open Source Options drop-in. Come along to Redbridge Library (Ilford) on the first Friday of the month between 1pm and 3pm to try free IT tools.
How to crop a photo or image using GIMP. This is how to do a simple crop. It uses the Crop Tool.
Good practice note: always copy your image first and work on the copy.
1. Open your photo
- In GIMP: File –> Open
- From your File Browser: Right click –> Open With –> GIMP Image Editor
2. Choose the Crop Tool
- Click on the Crop Tool in the Toolbox. It looks like a scalpel.
- If it’s hard to find, hover over the icons to show the yellow tool tips.
- You can also select the Crop Tool by clicking SHIFT + C.
3. Select the area to keep
- Hold the left mouse button and drag to select the area you want to keep.
- Highlight is selected by default. This makes the area you will keep bright and dulls the part of the picture that will be cropped.
4. Changing the size of your selection
- Click and drag on the sides to change the size of your selection.
- And/Or click and drag at the top and bottom.
- And/Or click and drag at the corners.
5. Using the cursor or mouse pointer
- Look at the mouse pointer as you hover over the drag lines.
- It will change to show what GIMP will do if you start dragging in that position.
- (This does not show in these screenshots.)
6. Using Size in the Crop dialogue box
- Look at Size in the Crop dialogue box as you drag the drag handles on the drag lines.
- The numbers change as you drag. You can change the measurement units that show the size.
- You can adjust the size precisely by typing in the size boxes or by using the arrows.
7. Changing the Position of your selection
- Hover on the bright part of the picture. The mouse pointer will change to a diamond shape.
- Click and hold the left mouse button to move your selection over other areas of the picture.
- In the Crop dialogue box Position works in the same way as Size.
8. Making the Crop
- When you are happy with your selection. EITHER:
- Double-click on the bright part of the picture (your selection) OR
- Press Enter or Return on your keyboard.
9. Save and finish
- Save your cropped photo or image.
- Menu: File –> Save
- Keyboard shortcut: CTRL + S
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is similar to Photoshop. We offer graphic design services for print and the web. We also provide training and support. For all your design wizardry contact us here or visit JustOutsource.it our main website.